Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Ramadhan in Oslo



When The holy month of Ramadhan has arrived, I am pretty sure most people in my country will be very busy preparing their needs during fasting period, in Indonesia, the night before Ramadhan will be very crowded, not only the mosques but also all department stores and supermarkets will be packed with people who need to prepare for the coming month.
However, Since moving to Norway seven months ago, this will be the first time that i can compare the differences between living in a Muslim country and a non Muslim country. I used to fast around 14-15 hours in Indonesia. Nevertheless, here in Norway the fasting during the time of Ramadhan is much more longer in summer, 21 hours  that make me terrifying and wondering how can I survive without foods and water for almost one full day. Today I would like to share my first ramadhan day in Oslo.

The Mosque of grøndland

in an attempt to make my own Ramadhan environment, I cycled to the mosque which is located in grøndland, this is the first time that I had entered the mosque in Oslo since coming to Norway Actually I always wanted to go to the mosque, but I never find the right time and they say the “Imam” speaks in neither Norwegian nor English, I couldn’t recognize what language that was, but I guess  that was urdhu. I did  Zuhur and stayed for a while trying to understand what the “Imam” says, but it was almost impossible, so I went out of the mosque and continued my journey.

Making candil 

Suddenly I had an idea to make Indonesian food which is usually served as appetizer when fasting time is up, this food called candil. Usually my mom used to make  it for me, but this time I have to struggle to make it myself, very challenging and I love to do new experiences  I have never done before and another reason is  because candil is my favorite food during Ramadhan. The appearance of candil is like soup but it is sweet and you might consider it as  dessert instead of appetizer. Inside the food you can find chewy balls that is the most deadly delicious ever .  To make this food I had to go to Asian market around Brugata and bought a sweet potatoes and glutinous flour as basic material to make the dough. I immediately processed the material to make dough, and put them in boiled water. Friend of mine who live togheter with me seems so curious and had been watching me making candil, I couldn’t  taste my own food since I am on fast, fortunately  she’s very kind and helpful and help me tasted the foods even I couldn’t guarantee her that my food is scrumptious. when fasting time is up, we ate together and today’s fasting has been successfully conducted and realized that 21 hours fasting wasn't as difficult as my imagination



No comments:

Post a Comment